Honeybee Love: Keeping Honeybees Safe While Using Pesticides

by Genevieve on May 16, 2010

Post image for Honeybee Love: Keeping Honeybees Safe While Using Pesticides

We’ve all heard about the plight of the honeybees by now – pesticides, hive infections, and other causes are combining to make it a very hard time to be a honeybee.

If you’re thinking to yourself that it’s not the worst thing in the world to have one less type of stinging insect around – remember – honeybees are extremely sweet little critters, completely unlike wasps. I’ve had to prune plants that they were happily buzzing and swarming for the nectar, and they took my activities with a cheerful spirit. In 14 years of gardening professionally, I have never once been stung by a honeybee, even though I’ve sheared, lopped, and pruned shrubs and flowers they were drinking from.

If that’s not enough – keep in mind, our food supply still gets pollinated the old-fashioned way, with insects and lots and lots of honeybees. A drastic reduction in their numbers means terrible things for our plates. A Cornell University study estimated that every third bite of food in America is pollinated by honeybees.

What can you do? While we don’t know all the causes of their problems, a couple of things are certain to help. We can be mindful of the pesticides we use, even the organic ones, and we can plant things in our gardens that provide nectar and pollen for them to eat. Today we’ll talk about which pesticides you can use to kill the bad bugs while keeping honeybees alive and well.

Pesticides that harm honeybees

Some common pesticides you may have that are toxic to bees:

Orthene (Acephate)

Seven (Carbaryl)

Diazinon (Spectracide, others)

Bayer systemic (Imidacloprid), which gets into the pollen, may cause disorientation and death in bees

Ambush, Pounce (Permethrin)

Crossfire, Raid Flying Insect Killer (Resmethrin)

Safe only if sprayed at dawn or dusk, when bees aren’t active

These pesticides can hurt bees when wet, but aren’t harmful when dry, so if you use with care, can be bee-safe:

Spinosad (insecticide)

Pyrethrum (insecticide)

Neem oil (fungicide, insecticide)

Honeybee-safe pesticides

While it’s not nice to spray while bees are around, these are fairly non-toxic to them:

Sulfur (fungicide)

Serenade (biological fungicide)

Insecticidal soap

Petroleum-based oils

B.T. or Bacillus thuringiensis (biological control for caterpillars)

Herbicides like Roundup and 2,4-D (though I much prefer organic herbicides)

Of course, prevention of pests and attraction of beneficials using plants can also help reduce the need for pesticides, as can the use of biological controls and beneficials, like hypoaspis miles mites for thrips or ladybugs or lacewings for aphids.

Honeybee on apple blossom

Other tips for keeping bees safe while using pesticides:

When in doubt, don’t spray anything that’s in full bloom. Bees aren’t attracted to plants that are budded or are at the point where their blossoms have dropped their petals.

Spray anything you need to in the very early morning or right before dark so that bees are already safely home, and the pesticide can dry before bees come into contact with them.

Careful not to contaminate the water that bees drink! Don’t dump out your leftover pesticide in a way that leaves a puddle that bees might drink from.

Use less-toxic formulations: Dusts are more hazardous to bees than liquids, and if you see any of the new micro-encapsulated formulas, just avoid them. These tiny capsules are the same size as pollen spheres, so are carried back to the colony and shared.

If you’ve got something that’s particularly attractive to bees right next to your problem plant, consider not spraying or holding off till the other plant is no longer in bloom.

One last note – a big portion of the problem for honeybees also comes from agricultural uses, so eating organic really helps. In particular, the pesticides used on non-organic soy cause problems to honeybees.

Later this week, I’ll talk about some of the flowering plants you can use to feed honeybees! Subscribe to get email or RSS updates.

Kathy Vilim May 17, 2010 at 9:57 am

Genevive, Enjoyed your post. Especially sweet bee in blossoms photos. Can’t imagine why anyone would need to spray a pesticide in gardening anymore when there are organic options.

Genevieve May 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I am so with you, Kathy. I think that people just don’t KNOW the actual impact pesticides, even organics, have on our own bodies and beneficials like birds and bees. I really see that as our role as garden bloggers – help folks make the connections clearly so they can go and help others know clearly the impact their decisions make. Because they don’t teach this stuff in high school! It’s hard to even know what questions we should be asking…

Carol Hallas January 30, 2014 at 1:23 am

I have a daughter named Melissa which means Honeybee, I have seen my half brother and his wife start 2 beehives – the first killed the queen and fled the scene, the second is in progress. My daughter Melissa who is name means Honeybee is thinking about starting 2 hives of her own

vetsy May 18, 2010 at 11:09 am

Genevieve…. Thank you for this informative post. There are so many things we need to change and re-learn about leaving and making our environments a better place for both nature and human kind.. Why not start in our own back yards!

Wonderful post. ..

Susan Morrison May 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm

An additional topic that’s come up in various gardening circles lately is bee habitat. Some of our native California bees actually nest in the ground, so the conventional wisdom of covering all bare portions of the ground is great for plants (great for weed suppression, water conservation, soil conditioning, etc.), but potentially destroys bee habitat.

When did gardening become so complicated?

Lisa May 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I think gardening became complicated some time *after* we started acting like we were the only creatures that mattered. Now that it’s clear that this kind of behavior causes nothing but trouble, we’ve got a huge mess to clean up.

Love the bees! My garden is home to many native bees, as well as two honeybee hives, which are from swarms we caught this spring.

Genevieve May 19, 2010 at 7:03 am

Vetsy, you are so right – our own homes and gardens are the simplest places to start… with any change.
Susan – yes, I just read that on the Town Mouse Country Mouse blog!! I had no idea… I’m suddenly re-thinking all my gardens to provide at least a little bare soil here and there to help.
And Lisa – wow, I am so impressed!! You caught two swarms! I wouldn’t even know where to start. Someday I hope to have a property large enough to have honeybee hives… How neat.

Jeff July 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I like your article, do you have any thoughts on wood borers in trees. To treat the tree a product like imidacloprid is needed which leaves me with the choice between my tree and the bees.

Genevieve July 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Jeff, call your local agricultural extension and ask them for alternatives to imidacloprid to treat wood borers. They can give you free advice.

Dave Hunter October 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

Genevieve,

Could you contact me about writing a post on mason bees?
Dave Hunter´s last article ..Surprises found in old Hornfaced Mason Bee tubes

Eileen March 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

So is the Bayer 2 in 1 rose and flower care in granules safe?

Genevieve March 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I don’t think so, Eileen. Bayer systemic which contains imidacloprid is not safe for honeybees and should not be used. It gets into the pollen of the plants and is carried home to the hive. Thank you so much for checking and being careful of the bees. They really need our help what with the widespread use of these pesticides for home use.

Eileen March 6, 2012 at 9:35 am

Thanks! I will look for safe alternatives.

Dee May 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Thank you for this reply! I’ve used the Bayer product and didn’t realize it gets into the pollen. Mon dieu! I’ve seen many different products on the shelves of many garden centers, home building products stores, etc. that have Imidicloprid as the main ingredient. People have no clue what they’re buying – just that it says: ‘kills bugs’ and they spray it everywhere. I’ve had someone tell me they sprayed insecticide for powdery mildew! Why can’t stores be made to post warnings or informative literature about these chemicals? Maybe not all would read them, but some might and that’s a start in the right direction.

Becky Deacon May 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hello, I’ve got a product with ‘triticonazole’ and ‘ acetamiprid’ in – will this be safe? If not are you able to suggest any products online that I could buy?

Thanks!

Genevieve May 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Becky, I’m not an expert on pesticides, but they certainly don’t sound safe. Why don’t you call Peaceful Valley and ask them for alternative pesticides that will be bee-safe? They have a toll-free number online: http://www.groworganic.com/weed-pest-control.html

Met Zorlu August 22, 2012 at 1:27 am

Thank you for the very helpful information on keeping bees safe from dangerous sprays in the garden, and other readers helpful comments.
Met

rebecca kotarski May 2, 2013 at 6:22 am

hi,
can anyone recommend a spray that i can put above my patio doors to keep the honey bees away? they’re nesting in the plastic brackets in the brickwork but its very close to the door and when i open the door they’re almost being sucked into my living room. i dont want to kill them because i love honey and we need to preserve these bees.

Maria Laughlin June 2, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I am no expert Rebecca, but I would suggest you try smoking the bees to see if u can get them to leave . U might need to get a hive with some frames for them to relocate to. If you don’t keep bees yourself , you might try to locate a local bee keeper for assistance. They are such friendly people, always willing to help rescue bees, and humans too! Try the phone book or go online for a local bee keeping club! Best of luck. If u try to handle the bees ur self , I highly recommend protective clothing, a veil and white leather long sleeved gloves. Bee safe!

Jarrett Vick August 10, 2013 at 9:08 am

I am one of the hated crop dusters who is worried about the bees. I live in a section of Alabama that has very little crop dusting by airplanes other than fertilizing of pine forest! I mainly apply granulated diamonium phosphate and urea to pine forest in the Southeast! I am alarmed by the decreasing frequency of honeybee sightings near my home! Critics might say I am waking up! The truth is I am ignorant! My plan is to start an apiary with mixed organic and limited invasive management practices! I would like permission to provide a link to your page!

Jarrett Vick

Al Guevara August 24, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I have a lot of bees in my yard in Ojai and enjoy having them there. A neighbor asked me if I had spider webs in my oak trees and said perhaps I do and she said that she is considering having her oak trees and shrubs sprayed for spiders, and I said that it was a bad idea because their are no safe sprays that won’t harm bees. She said that her exterminator said he would look into that. I think that many people are so paranoid of a few bugs in their yards. My opinion is that, bugs are here for a reason and have as much right to live as us, some smarter than other, humans.

Fred Crossman October 23, 2013 at 10:08 am

Is Crosbow herbicide use safe with bees?

john king January 28, 2014 at 3:12 am

Hi. I live in the Blue Mountains NSW Australia. Recently an old hive I have has been re-colonised by a swarm of bees. Wonderful! About two weeks later I found a european wasp nest set up in a rock wall cavity, about 20 yards from the bee hive. This also was a new arrival. On observation I’ve noticed the wasps are interested in the bees and are frequently visiting the hive, carting off dead bees etc..and the bees are not stopping them. My query is basically, can I eliminate the wasp nest without threatening the safety of the bees? I threw some Derris dust into the wasp nest entrance the other night, but since then it occurred to me that a wasp with Derris dust on its feet might enter the bee hive and cause a catastrophe. Any Ideas would be appreciated. J.K.

Genevieve January 28, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hi John, I sure wish I knew. You might try searching for forums or groups on beekeeping on Facebook, as a lot of beeks I know are part of groups like that and would be able to help you. I wish I knew enough to do so!

steve February 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I must disagree with you on your safe herbicide list.
Roundup, 2,4-D, Eraser, And a whole host of herbicides out there are NOT honeybee safe whatsoever.
I have lost in the last 2 years 80% of my bee hives in my apiary due to Round-up ready crops. My bees will pollinate their soybean crops that are GMO round-up ready and it kills my bees and causes the hives to collapse. Monsanto and now Dow with their new 2,4-D GMO crops will kill off our remaining honey bee population and once that happens you will lose your food supply.

Christina Ritter February 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Dow’s 2,4-D, closely associated with the infamous Agent Orange defoliant used in Vietnam. Besides being linked to cancer and birth defects in humans, 2,4-D is also toxic to honeybees. While the herbicide may not result in the immediate die-off of bees, scientists report that over time, it severely impairs their ability to reproduce.
and
Perhaps the most widely used, and most well-known weed-killer in the world is Monsanto’s Roundup. It’s sprayed on home gardens and on roadsides. But by far, the single most use for Roundup is on Monsanto’s “Roundup-Ready” corn, soybeans, sugar beets, canola and cotton.

Roundup and 2, 4 D should not be used ever. These herbicides kill bees and have other devasting effects on the environment. I have posted a link to an article by organic bytes.

Roundup is routinely used along with neonics, which implicates it in CCD. But its key active ingredient, one linked by numerous studies to widespread human and environmental health problems, is glyphosate.

According to the latest figures available from the EPA, in 2007, as much as 185 million pounds of glyphosate was used by U.S. farmers, double the amount used six years prior. Since 2007, more GMO crops have been approved, more acres of GMO crops have been planted. Glyphosate, too, has been linked to the die-off of bees. But it’s also the prime suspect in the dramatically declining population of the monarch butterfly. Roundup kills the milkweed plant, the main source of food for monarch butterflies. According to one leading entomologist, the “main culprit” in the declining population of monarch butterflies is “herbicide-resistant corn and soybean crops and herbicides in the USA” which “leads to the wholesale killing of the monarch’s principal food plant, common milkweed.”